Thursday, October 18, 2012

Vintage Penguin

| | 0 comments

 {Source: sfgirlsbybay via Pinterest }

 My Dad and Boyfriend a serious collectors of vintage things. All of my life I've been surrounded by old clocks, radios, appliances, clothes and even books. Today I visited home for the first time since August. My Dad had all his latest vintage finds out and behold a small stack of original Penguin books. Sadly none of the books were of any interest to me but I really love how they use to design the covers.

These were some of the types of books he had, I'm not much into Christie and I read Seven Red Sundays for school once and was bored two pages in.The thing that captivates me about the generic Penguin design is the simplicity. Each book has this color blocking idea and similar design, yet in some way they all kind of differ. I like the sophistication of the sans-serif and the well established hierarchy with the bold, regular and different sized type. I also admire the paper. It's strange to think about that, but paper is a huge factor in books. Usually it's a one sided glossy texture or a hardback but the paper for these kinds of books is a rich thick, almost cotton paper. It's nice to feel while you read, I suppose! The really awesome thing about these covers is the ambiguity towards the story. Nothing about the cover tells you anything about what's inside. Nothing is misleading nor does it turn you off. I feel like with these covers you are strictly reading because of the title.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment