Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Favorite book

| | 0 comments
I had originally intended on "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" being my last book cover that I would review at the end of the semester because it was was my favorite book. But today is my birthday and all I really want to do is curl up and read some of Charlie's letters & pretend that I'm Sam. I read this book my sophomore year of high school & I think & always will think that it helped shape who I am today.
While in most of my design classes I doubt we could get away with a cover like this, I really love it. The idea of the BRIGHT crazy neon green surrounding this quiet, faded image of someone standing against a wall speaks volumes about the book. It also demonstrates what the  book is about without being overly obvious. I love the subtle type the title is in but I must admit I don't know what value the author's name holds in the bottom being all chunky and bleeding off. I don't mind it yet I don't know why it works there, conceptually or visually.

 With the big screen adaptation of the book a new cover and a movie poster have been released. (I am hoping someone, *cough* boyfriend *cough* will take me for my birthday) I think both the poster and new cover are quite beautiful. The poster is an excellent adaptation from the book cover and that makes me hopeful that the movie is too! I'm not crazy about the font on the poster but the "We Are Infinite" quote helps me forget how bad the type is. The new book cover is beautiful, but I'm not sure if it does anything other than being beautiful. It reminds me of "Extremely Low & Incredibly Close" book cover and that turns me off considering how different the books are. The idea of the words being is Charlie's head isn't conceptually viable considering in the novel we are reading his letters not first person. And well I think the flowers were thrown in to attempt to give to the title name, but fail considering it's not that kind of wallflower, haha. I am wondering if the artist read the book at all?


0 comments:

Post a Comment