Wednesday, September 19, 2012

#3 A Marilyn Biography

| | 0 comments
We all know who she is and what she's famous for, if you don't then you must have been living under a rock for like, ever. "The Passion & The Paradox" by Lois Banner is sadly the only Monroe biography I have read (Does watching "My Week With Marilyn" count?) but I thought it was a great look into her glamorous yet tragic life. When I first found this book in the store I thought it was Breath Takingly Beautiful! Part of me thought it stood out so much because it was jammed between  Tina Faye & Lauren Conrad books but alone the book is still amazing. The photograph captures what I feel like is a different side of Marilyn. A shy, sweet & more girl next door instead of sexy, vixen, mistress vibe we so often get dealt from pop culture. Her hair is somewhat messy & she doesn't look like she's trying to be sexy or well anything. She is just existing in front of a camera. It's sort of peaceful.
The typography is simple but gets the job done. The white script and sans-serif just work together to give the cover a kind of elegance. I guess the only thing I would change is the hot pink "The Passion & The Paradox" at the top. It throws me off completely.

 I think these covers of other Marilyn Monroe biographies work well, but in different ways. I feel like I can't put too much into them just because I haven't read the book, but anyways... "The Secret Life Of" on the left has it's issues, but I think it has that same photograph quality the first book has. It's a simple photograph, not over sexed up or trying to hard. Monroe is sort of just existing in this. The type on the other hand just makes me feel ill. The color is TOO much and I think there is something weird going on with how muddled the script looks. Nope it's not pixelated.  The second one is over sex up, annoying & for the most part the photo doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know about her. I like the type though. The dashed sans-serif with the two colors gives it an old Hollywood feel. The placement falls really well on the photograph too.


0 comments:

Post a Comment